A five-person board representing the five divisions in the District govern Tumalo Irrigation District. Members are elected in cycles for three-year terms. Board meetings are held the second Tuesday of every month at the District office with the Board entering into executive session at 10:00 a.m. and returning to regular session at approximately 11:30 a.m. Meetings that fall on holidays will be rescheduled. Please check with District staff.
- 10:00am — Executive Session
- 11:30am – Board Meeting (open to the public)
Current board members are:
Stephen L Putnam, Director
19885 Innes Market Road
Bend, OR 97703
Wally Zimmerman, Vice Chairman
65315 Cline Falls Road
Bend, OR 07703
Martin Warbington, Director
19345 Tumalo Reservoir Road
Bend, OR 97703
John (Jack) Farley, Director
19345 Dusty Loop
Bend, OR 97703
Ron Cochran, Chair
18624 Pinehurst Road
Bend, OR 97703
Regular Board Meeting Agenda
December 8, 2020 Proposed Board Meeting Agenda (coming soon)
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
October 13, 2020
BOARD: Ron Cochran, Steve Putnam, Martin Warbington, Jack Farley
STAFF: Kenneth Rieck, Chris Schull, April Harris Spath
ATTORNEY: Mark Reinecke
GUESTS: Kevin Crew, Bendt Broderson, Greg Mohnen,
Mike Rockett, Phil Chang, Scott Maricle (joined virtually via Microsoft Teams)
Chairman Cochran called the regular board meeting to order at 10:03 a.m. and appointed April Harris Spath scribe.
EXECUTIVE SESSION ANNOUNCEMENT
At 10:04 a.m. the Board recessed the regular session and entered executive session per:
- ORS 192.660(2)(f) to consider information or records that are exempt from disclosure by law, including written advice from your attorney.
- ORS 192.660(2)(h) to consult with counsel concerning the legal rights and duties of a public body with regards to current litigation or litigation likely to be filed.
Following the executive session, the regular session was reconvened at 11:30 a.m.
APPROVE MINUTES OF SEPTEMBER 2020 BOARD MEETINGS
Director Putnam made a motion to approve the minutes of the September 2020 board meeting. Director Farley seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.
GUEST PHIL CHANG
Manager Rieck introduced Candidate Phil Chang, (via internet connection) who is running for Deschutes County Commissioner. Chang commended TID for their forward thinking and exceptional progress in water conservation and piping the District. Chang left the meeting at 11:42 a.m.
WATER SUPPLY REPORT
Manager Rieck reviewed the current water supply report and attached graph, which indicated that Crescent Lake was 27% full. Rieck stated that 30 cfs was continuing to be released from Crescent Lake to support the Oregon spotted frog and instream water rights.
The Deschutes Basin HCP was submitted to the Department of Interior. Once it has been reviewed by them, it will be published and a Final Environmental Impact Statement will be issued, hopefully by late October.
TID’s field crew is working on removing trees along the buried pipeline. There are approximately 19-20 trees that need to be professionally removed and a cost estimate to contract this out is expected soon.
GROUP 3 PIPE PROCUREMENT
Engineer Kevin Crew discussed the bid specs for pipe procurement for Group 3. Director Putnam made a motion to proceed with the bid process for Group 3 pipe materials. Director Farley seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.
BLACK ROCK CONTRACT
Director Putnam made a motion to sign the agreement between Black Rock Consulting, Inc. and TID for the scope of services and a cost estimate for Group 3. Director Warbington seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.
PUBLIC RELATIONS PROPOSALS
The Board reviewed the two public relations proposals that the District received from Clearwater Strategy and Jennifer Stephens Contracting & Consulting. Both Waterston Communications, Inc and StingRay Communications were unable to commit to the time that would be required for TID’s current needs. Chairman Cochran stated he would like to see a couple of more proposals for comparison and stated he would try to find some additional PR firms.
Director Warbington shared with the Board the feedback that he received from patrons while he was getting signatures for his petition. He stated that he feels educating our patrons is incredibly important, as well as increasing communications between our ditch riders and the patrons.
Martin Warbington was re-elected as director of Division #5 by reason of sole nominating petition. An election was declared for Director of Division 2 for the three-year term beginning January 2021 and ending January 2024. Jack Farley, current director of Division #2, and J. Michael Rockett, property owner in Division #2, turned in nominating petitions. Mail in ballots and other pertinent information regarding the election will be sent out to all registered voters in Division #2. Director Putnam made a motion allowing scribe Harris-Spath to take nominations and appoint three election judges for the election being held on November 10, 2020. Director Warbington seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.
Guests Bendt Broderson and Scott Maricle both made statements, saying that they agree with Director Warbington on the matter of educating our patrons and increasing communications between the ditch riders and patrons. Maricle also stated that he has had several conversations with neighbors on the subject of piping and the feedback that he has received has all been positive. Those patrons he spoke to expressed a strong desire to have their laterals piped as soon as possible and are willing to work with the District on final design. Maricle also commended the ditch riders for the great job they have been doing in delivering water.
MOTION TO APPROVE OCTOBER 2020 VOUCHER LIST
Director Putnam made a motion to approve the October 2020 voucher list. Director Farley seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.
NEXT MEETING DATE
The date of the next board meeting was set for November 10, 2020.
Director Putnam made a motion to adjourn the regular board meeting at 12:42 p.m. Director Warbington seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.
At 12:43 p.m. Chairman Cochran called an Executive Session back into order per:
- ORS 192.660(2)(a) and 192.660(7) to consider the employment of an officer, employee, staff member or agent.
Executive session was adjourned at 1:00 p.m.
- Records Inspection and Copying – Procedures & Fees
- Water Theft Policy
- For Water Users for Consecutive Years of Non-Use (Transfer of Irrigation Water for Non-Use)
- Water Transfer Policy
- Storm Water Policy
- Board Duties and Responsibilities
- Water Conservation Policy
- Private Ditch Policy
- Management Beyond the POD – Staff Procedures
- Personal Services Policy
- Election Policy
- Whistleblower Protection Policy
- Discriminatory Workplace Harassment Policy
- District Safety and Health Program
- Easement Encroachment Policy
The Board of Director’s position for Divisions 2 and 5 will terminate on January 12, 2021.
An election will be held this year to fulfill these vacancies. The term of office will be for three years, beginning January 12, 2021, and terminating January 9, 2024. The incumbent may apply for an additional term, and any qualified elector from this division may run for this position. If you wish to run for this position, you may pick up a petition and a list of qualified electors at the District office on or after Thursday, August 27, 2020.
Completed petitions must be received in the District office by 5:00 P.M., Tuesday, October 6, 2020. Petitions must have at least ten signatures of qualified electors. If more than one candidate applies, an election will be held Tuesday, November 10, 2020.
If it is necessary to have an election for Division 2 or 5 this year, patrons will be notified by letter regarding the election. Voter registration cards must be on file with the District prior to an election.
Election Policy & Procedures
Tumalo Irrigation District has well-defined elections procedures that outline eligibility to run for the board and to vote in District elections.
Please note: Persons wishing to run for a director position should be able to attend as many of the monthly meetings as possible. The Board generally meets the second Tuesday of each month at 10:00 am for the Executive Session and the 11:30 board meeting. Unless otherwise notified, all meeting are held at the District office.
Voter Qualifications (Is an elector the same as a voter?)
The qualifications* for the voter are:
- Must have a signed Voter Registration Card on file with the District.
- 18 years of age or older.
- An owner or a vender under contract of purchase of land situated within the District, applicable Division and subject to the charges or assessments of the District.
* These are the same qualifications required to sign a petition supporting a candidate.
- Where land is held in multiple ownership, such as husband and wife, only one party may vote.
- In the case of a Corporation, Company, or Trust, only one vote shall be allowed on behalf of all the owners under the multiple ownership. The vote may be cast by any one of the multiple owners who holds an authorization in writing from the other owners (Voter Authorization Form).
- If an elector is an owner in two or more divisions of residence and resides in one of them, the elector shall vote in the division of residence, but if an elector is a nonresident of the District, the elector may choose to vote in any one division in which the elector is an owner. When a nonresident landowner chooses to vote in any one division, the landowner shall file a notice of choice of voting division with the Secretary of the Board of the District. A nonresident landowner’s choice to vote in a certain division is permanent and remains permanent until the nonresident landowner’s ownership status changes in any way (Nonresident Election to Vote in Division Form).
- If you are required to submit either of these forms, and do not already have one on file in this office, please call this office as soon as possible.
State law provides for the following number of votes:
- One vote for up to 40 acres;
- Two votes for 40 acres or more but not more than 160 acres; and
- Three votes for more than 160 acres.